Do this because
Visit Saint Stephen's Basilica, the main Catholic church in Budapest
Enjoy a skip-the-line entry and save precious vacation time
Take a guided tour of the church in English, including its monumental artworks and relics
Admire panoramic views over the city from the dome
Explore the treasury and historical exhibition
What to expect
Meet your English-speaking tour guide in front of Saint Stephen's Basilica and start your guided tour inside the church.
Built in the 2nd half of the 19th century, it is one of Budapest’s highlights, known for its monumental dome and beautiful Neo-Renaissance architecture. You will see the mysterious relic of the Holy Right, the naturally mummified right hand of the first Hungarian king Saint Stephen, who ruled the country in the 11th century and converted Hungarians to Christianity. You will learn about the 1000 year old Christian history of a proud nation. Enjoy a guided tour inside the church to see its rich interior covered with real gold and decorated with many frescos and sculptures made by the best local artists of the late 19th century.
After the visit to the interior of the church, you will take an elevator and continue your guided tour to the panoramic terrace around the dome, an amazing lookout point above the whole of Budapest. After the guided tour you can use your ticket to enter the treasury and history exhibition of the basilica which you can explore at your own pace.
If the church cannot be visited because of an unforeseen special ceremony, you will be compensated with a guided tour in the treasury and history exhibition.
COVID-19 informationThe following health and safety measures are in place, so you can relax and enjoy your experience.
Visitor numbers are limited to reduce crowds
The experience complies with government regulations
Areas frequented by visitors are regularly disinfected
Visitors are required to bring and wear masks
Guides and all other staff are required to wear masks
Guided tour in English of the inside of the Basilica and from the lookout terrace around the dome
Entry to the church
Use of the elevator and entry to the panoramic terrace
Entry to the treasury and to the historical exhibition
Budapest, Szent István tér 1, 1051 Hungary
Meet your guide on the steps in front of Saint Stephen's Basilica with the sign "GUIDED TOUR".
Tourist Angel Smc
Receive a 100% refund if you cancel up to 24 hours before the activity begins.
Important to know
- The church is closed on some special occasions like wedding ceremonies. In such unforeseen cases you will be compensated withan extra guided visit to the tower treasury (not part of the guided tour normally)
- Please wear clothes appropriate for a church (no sleeveless tops, short skirts or shorts); men should uncover their heads
- It is forbidden to eat, drink, or smoke in the church area
- To reach the dome panorama terrace there are 2 elevators: a bigger one in the lower part and a smaller one in the upper part of the building; instead of using the second smaller elevator you may climb about 60 steps to reach the top of the dome, in case there are too many people waiting for the elevator
- COVID safety information: The tour guide will wear a protective mask if required by travellers. Social distance will be observed during the tour.
- The tour operates on Saturdays with a maximum of 3 participants, on all other days the maximum is 10