Save an extra 5% with this discount code: TsA2021W
Things to do in Roman Forum
The Roman Forum is located in the ancient heart of Rome between the Palatine and Capitoline Hills covering 820 by 560 feet. In its heyday, the legendary Roman Forum was a thriving hub of social, political and religious activity. Hosting everything from elections to criminal trials and gladiator matches, it’s now a sprawling complex of ruins that makes for a remarkable stroll into the past.
Originally marshland that was drained in the 7th century BC thanks to an impressive engineering feat of the time, after the fall of the Roman Empire the area returned to disuse. Plundered for its stone and marble and then largely forgotten, it was not until the 18th century that excavations began, the likes of which are still ongoing.
Of the enormous grounds be sure not to miss the 75 foot-high Arco di Settimio Severo, the Curia (seat of the senate), the triumphant Arco de Tito, and the few remaining granite columns of the Tempio di Saturno. You will notice that the different architecturual pieces come from different centuries due to the Romans practice of building over earlier ruins.
A walk down Via Sacra, the main thoroughfare that once linked the Piazza del Campidoglio with the Colosseum, will also give you a chance to imagine the complex in all its former glory.
Today, the Roman Forum is a fully visitable archaeological site. Tourists from all over the world come to visit the open-air ruins.
- From January 2 to February 15: 08:30 am - 4:30 pm
- From February 16 to March 15: 08:30 am - 5:00 pm
- From March 16 to the last Saturday of March: 08:30 am - 5:30 pm
- From the last Sunday of March to August 31: 08:30 am - 7:15 pm
- From September 1 to September 30: 08:30 am - 7:00 pm
- From October 1 to the last Saturday of October: 08:30 am - 6:30 pm
- From the last Sunday of October to December 31: 8:30 am - 4:30 pm
The ticket office and last entrance: Open until one hour prior to closing time
- Roman Forum: Largo della Salara Vecchia, 5/6
- Palatine: Via di San Gregorio, 30
How to get there
- By metro
- MEB, MEB1: Colosseum
- By bus
- 75, 81, 673, 175, 204;
The site is accessible to people with reduced mobility
Our recommendations in Roman Forum
Experiences in Roman Forum
How to get there
Reviews Roman Forum
“The skip the line MUSEMENT ticketing offers throughout Rome and Florence as well are WELL WORTH the price”
“Genial. Recomendable 100%”
“fantastic. Skip the line is a must”